Friday, May 05, 2006

What's In A Name?

Several people have asked, "How did you come up with Hattie Elise?" So here it goes...

We were looking for a name that was unique, without sounding wierd. As we were talking about names out loud I asked Liz what her Grandmother's name was - Mary Hattie. Though I never got to meet "Grandmother" I have always heard wonderful things about her. When I heard the name "Hattie" I immediately fell in love with it. So that is where "Hattie" comes from.

Now for Elise...
Elizabeth's full name is Rebecca Elizabeth (that is why the ultrasound says "Becca"). I love the name "Elizabeth" but she informed me early on that there are already an abundance of "Elizabeth's" in her family. So, we simply came up with an alternate form, the German form, of Elizabeth - Elise (You may have heard of Beetoven's song "Fur Elise"). Elizabeth means "consecrated to God." That's what's in a name.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! YEA for girls!! They are the best!!

Love, Melodie and Olivia

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth and Brad, I obviously love the name Hattie Elise and the family memories it inspires. Eliz is right that there are enough of us Elizabeth's as it is. I congratulate you both on your miracle of life and look forward to seeing you soon.

Love, Elizabeth Porter